Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hurry up and wait

That's been the story of my life so far this week.

I've been out twice this week with Nagashima-san, a foreign personnel advisor for the University. She has accompanied me this week to city hall on Tuesday and the Japan Post bank today. In both locations, we were kept waiting for hours. Apparently, according to Nagashima-san, April is the start of new everything. New school year, new fiscal year, and new jobs. Therefore, as everyone is moving around during this time period, city hall has to stay open longer to accommodate the numerous changes in residence. (You need to tell your current town that you're moving away first, and then tell your new town that you're moving in.)

As for the bank, it took longer than usual because of my name (long middle name AND a suffix), as well as a very recent policy that even Nagashima-san did not know about where I have to open the account first, and then I can make an initial deposit. Nowhere on any sign or the application form did it mention this. Ah, Japanese bureaucracy.

In addition to the top, I've been waiting for my SIM card with my Japanese phone number all week. My provider is OCN Mobile, which is an MVNO running on NTT Docomo towers. 5 GB of data and voice for around $20/month. Here's how that's been going so far:
  1. I had to order an OCN packet off of Amazon for around three dollars on Sunday. It hated my debit card, and Amazon Japan does not accept Discover cards, so onto the joint card it went. Got the Prime trial, so it arrived on Tuesday.
  2. The only thing of note in this packet is a special security code, which I then had to enter on their website in order to complete the application. Similar story with the cards. Uploaded a copy of my resident card. They wanted a phone number to verify who I am (yeah, I know), so I gave them the switchboard for the university. I should get something in two days.
  3. The next day (Wednesday), OCN calls the university. The rep at General Affairs, who knows me, answers. She confirms that I am a real person staying at the dormitory.
  4. Today (Thursday), I get something in the mail from OCN. Oh, boy! I open the envelope. There's a sheet with my account information (except for the phone number section, which is not filled in), and a packet explaining various charges. No SIM card.
This is getting annoying, especially considering that I now have at least half a dozen people asking me for my new phone number, and I have to apologize and tell them that I'm still waiting on my ding-dong SIM card. Without my new phone number, I can't update my resume. And without my resume, I can't apply for TA positions or part time work. I'd like to get my SIM card by orientation on Saturday, but I'm starting to doubt if I will.

As for the car hunt, I found at least three Eunos Roadsters on online networks that are located in southern portions of the country. One goes over my budget by a few man, one is right on the limit, and I have yet to hear about the third. Nagashima-san also has yet to hear back from the dealer that I found here in Aizu that can go to the auctions for me. If I can get a better deal with this dealer, I will gladly wait. I know that I can find a Roadster for cheaper than what I'm finding now.

There are a few students on this floor already. There is one other international student from China. The others are Japanese. We make each other nervous with our limited understandings of each other's languages, but we get along pretty well otherwise. Hopefully we'll be able to learn from each other as the year goes on.

-wp

No comments: