Saturday, October 15, 2016

Travels with Tackawanna 10: The Road to Hachinohe

It's time.

The video files had been sitting on my computer, converted to an iMovie-friendly format for the past two months. However, I wanted to wait for Tackawanna to come back from the repair shop before I posted the videos, and after that, I came up with plenty of other excuses not to do it. Oh, I'm too busy. I have to leave the computer running overnight for the video processing. The time spent editing and uploading just isn't worth it for me right now.

Well, this past week I decided that enough is enough, and started editing the videos. I had over fifteen hours of video, and I was able to bring that down to about a third in the below videos. So let's go through each of them now. If you haven't been following my blog long, you can catch up on my August adventure by following these links in order.



This first one is me travelling on the Sanriku Expressway from its starting point off the Tohoku Expressway to its current end in Minamisanriku. The Sanriku was undergoind a piecemeal-style rebuilding; there were expressways in some places and there weren't in others. Half of this distance was a toll road, which was very helpful on my wallet. (It was around 6000 yen to get from Aizu to here on the expressways.)





Next, we have the actual travelling on National Route 45. The only footage of interest was south of Miyako, my first overnight point. Because I stopped for lunch in the middle, the footage has been broken up into two parts, and both are pretty long. You can see exactly what I was talking about when I said that the tsunami cleared everything out. Even five years later, there's not even grass.



I didn't stick to Route 45 the whole way. I also took a detour onto Iwate Prefecture Route 44 to check out the seawall at Fudai.



Finally, this coastal drive on Aomori Prefecture Route 1 was actually in Hachinohe, about an hour before Tackawanna's radiator exploded.

There. Got that off my waiting list. Now let's see what if tomorrow's Roadster meeting will produce anything interesting as well.

-wp

No comments: